My kids started eating them right away. Organically grown, perfectly ripe wine quality cabernet grapes are easy to enjoy. They tasted of deep berry (blackberry?) flavors with a hint of complimentary vanilla, and were sweet and juicy. I realized that I needed to use them right away. So after consulting with the Mad Fermentationist (thanks for emailing me back!) I decided to add some to my Farmer's Daughter Flanders Red that's been fermenting for almost ten months. But first I needed to figure out how much I had.
So early last Saturday morning I started to remove the grapes from the vines. I had some help from Claire and Ben who really just wanted to eat them. The whole process took about two hours, with me carefully removing stems and bagging the grapes after washing them. The result was much more than I expected. Altogether the box contained almost 21 pounds of grapes!
|Four 5 +lb bags|
|Ben sorting (eating) grapes|
Over the past few days, I've worked out my plans for the remaining ten+ pounds. I want to start a cycle of lambics, brewing one roughly each year for the next three years, and ultimately blending the three batches into a gueze that has the potential to be greater than the sum of its individual parts. I'm planning to incorporate the remaining grapes somewhere within the process, but honestly am not sure exactly where. Tentatively I think it might be added to a portion of this first lambic after at least a year of fermentation. The grain and hop bill couldn't be any easier, with pilsner malt, unmalted wheat and aged hops providing a simple base for the myriad of microfauna to work its magic. I plan to brew the first one with a turbid mash schedule mid-week: