Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Citra Inyo Pale Ale / Dregs #6

Citra Inyo Pale Ale

Lewy and I split two pounds of Citra hop pellets the other day, so I decided to brew a tried and true recipe but mix it up by using Citra for the aroma additions at 10 minutes and flame out.  The recipe itself is super simple with only base malt and a single crystal malt for grains.  The hop additions are those used in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale: Magnum for bittering, Perle for flavor, and Cascade for aroma.  I substituted Citra for the Cascade and am hoping to get a fruitier finish in contrast to the floral highlights that I've come to expect from Cascade's profile.

Dregs #6: Green Flash Rayon Vert

While making it, I decided to get another dregs gallon batch together.  I adjusted the grain bill for an additional gallon of wort and gathered it prior to boiling so that I could do something different with the hops.  I did a one gallon boil on my kitchen stove, adding only aged Perle hops at the beginning of the boil and yielding one gallon after about 25 minutes at low boil.  The dregs from two bottles of Green Flash's Rayon Vert were added (details here).  If you haven't tried it, it's hoppier than most Brett beers, but is similar to Orval in color and general flavor.  The beer is fermented with an ale yeast and then bottle conditioned with Brett and ale yeast to provide just a hint of Brett character and make the beer interesting.  The great thing about dregs beers is that you have a chance to compare the parent beer with its offspring.  My base beer is certainly different than that made at Green Flash for Rayon Vert.  I can't wait to see what the final product is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?